collapse

* CONTENTS

* RECOMMENDED

* SPONSORED LINKS

SEOprofiler SEO software

Author Topic: 16 mm Cine Cameras used during WW2  (Read 2486 times)

checkit

16 mm Cine Cameras used during WW2
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »
Hello - Was wondering what type of 16 mm camera would have been used by army photographers and war correspondents during WW2.  I saw a Victor Cine Model 3 at an auction the other day, and that is what got me to thinking about it, as I was thinking they showed army photographers using a very similar camera in the "Band of Brothers" series.  I am thinking that they would have used a Victor Model 4 or 5 during the war, as the Internet mentions that each of these Models had an aircraft mounted version as well. So would a Model 4 or 5 be the right time period for use in WW2?  Also, I am guessing that a war photographer would have the most powerful telephoto lens available at the time, and was wondering what that would be as well.  In case it is not obvious, I'm not too camera literate.  I just have some WW2 U.S. army photographer stuff and would like to put a camera with it.

Michael Cleveland

• Global Moderator
Re: 16 mm Cine Cameras used during WW2
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 12:32:58 PM »
While the US military did purchase Victors, you would be more likely to see Bell & Howell cameras in the hands of Army photographers.  You are correct that only the Victor 4 and 5 would be proper to the period, but the B&H cameras were more reliable and more common.  You would want to look for a B&H Filmo 70 DA, as the DL and DR are post war.  The camera pictured in Band of Brothers is a B&H (from which, btw, Victor took the design for his cameras).

checkit

Re: 16 mm Cine Cameras used during WW2
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I did pick up a Victor 4 that I stumbled across, but will be on the lookout for a BH as you mentioned.

About | Privacy | Terms | Contact | Advertise | © Vintage Camera Online

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal